Faculty of Law
What the director says about the faculty. We believe that education is not just a matter of age or social status. We actively support research. We are open-minded and dedicated to influencing the lives of people around us. We have been creating a smarter world since 1919.
Average tuition 268 000 CZK
Acceptance rate 20 %
Visitschools index 627.5
Employability rate 97
QS rankings 555
Times index 700
Check and follow us Instagram.
TAKE A QUICK PICK
or check out every nook and cranny of the school with the help of our guides.
However detailed of a tour you’d like, our guides will help.
The Faculty of Law of Masaryk University is one of the prestigious legal and educational institutions in the Czech Republic.
The Faculty of Law was one of the four founding faculties of Masaryk University in 1919. The studies commenced in academic year 1919/1920 and the team of professors included figures such as Bohumil Baxa, Jaroslav Kallab, Karel Engliš (the first rector of the University) or Franišek Weyr who became the first dean of the Faculty of Law. In the period between the wars five professors of the Faculty of Law held the office of the rector of Masaryk University.
At first, the teaching took place in temporary areas near the centre of Brno. The current building was opened in 1932. It should have been a part of a considerably larger campus with its own square. However, the economic recession of the early 1930s resulted in abandoning this idea.
The teaching at Masaryk University, hence at the Faculty of Law too, was interrupted in 1939 as a consequence of the German occupation. A part of the Faculty’s students and teachers were involved in the resistance movement and some of them sacrificed their lives. During the war the Faculty's building was used by Gestapo and housed cells and interrogation rooms.
After the World War II, following negotiations with the Soviet army, the Faculty’s operation was renewed. However, the upswing of Communism in 1948 brought about the ousting of a number of professors, including František Weyr. In spite of this, the Faculty preserved the tradition of Weyr’s normative school, which subsequently caused the cancellation of the Faculty of Law in 1955. Its building was handed over to the Military Academy, which remained there until 1989.
Brno did not witness the renewal of its school of law until the period of more relaxed political climate in 1969. However, the teaching took place in substitute area in Zelný trh in the centre of Brno. The Faculty was not allowed to draw on its pre-war tradition of the First Republic. In addition to that, the entire university could not bear the name of Masaryk and had to be renamed to J. E. Purkyně University.
The University did not return to its original title until after the Velvet Revolution of 1989. Similarly, the Faculty of Law had to wait until then for its return to the building intended for its seat.
From this university
Faculty of Economics and Administration
- View school
Contacts:+420 549 49 1011 / +420 549 49 1011 (EN)
All Ratings:Acceptance rate: 20 %
QS ranking: 555
Times index: 700
Visitschools index: 627.5
Employability rate: 97